Active sitting inspires controlled movement. Our body intuitively seeks the ideal position, and the next position is always best.
Active sitting inspires continual, controlled movement. Our body intuitively seeks the ideal position, and the next position is always the best.
With active sitting, the upper body is free and self-supported and has to balance itself. We engage our abdominal and back muscles, which strengthens our core and improves our posture and reduces tensions. Our feet and legs are in motion, which stimulates our circulation. The shoulders and chest are open, making it easy to breathe deeply. We feel stronger, healthier, and our concentration improves.
Ultimately, active sitting is the freedom to move.
Passive vs Active sitting
Burn more calories
- Passive sitting burns about 81 calories an hour
- Active sitting burns about 150 calories an hour
Concentration levels rise
- Our concentration level drops when we sit for prolonged periods
- Our focus and alertness improve when we have the freedom to move
Blood circulation improves
- Active sitting improves circulation, oxygen supply and general wellbeing
- Passive sitting restricts blood flow, making us sluggish and tired
Muscles are active
- Active sitting engages the back and abdominal muscles, encourages the natural curvature of the spine, and improves strength and flexibility
- Passive sitting reduces muscle tone and definition
The spine is upright and naturally aligned
- Active sitting enables us to sit as nature intended – with an upright, naturally aligned J-shaped spine
- With core muscles weakened from passive sitting, the spine slumps into a C-shape. We then tend to over-correct into a sit-up-straight, tense S-shape.
Active Sitting chairs
Improve your health and wellbeing with an active sitting chair.
Designed specifically to engage core muscles, the Actulum™, balans®, Move™, and Pendulum™ series strengthens back and abdominal muscles and improves posture. With a Varier active sitting chair, the body adopts an upright, open posture that makes it easy to breathe deeply, boosting blood oxygen levels and circulation.
Feel tired after long hours of sitting? Then you’ve been sitting passively for too long. When you stand up from one of our active sitting chairs, you’ll feel fresh and energised, because you don’t just sit – you move at the same time.
Sit down move on.